Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Building A Better Me!

Rigorous exercise is certainly not for everyone and I can solemnly admit that I'm not sure its for me as well.  All I know is I will get results from the work that I am doing some day.  For a long time I exercised in a fashion that is more suited for an elderly person.  Picking up 5lbs or 10lbs weights and doing a set of 10 here or there.  Walking on the treadmill while talking on my phone or watching TV while I hardly broke a sweat on the elliptical machine. It was when I actually saw a 75 year old man doing more work than me at the gym that I came the realization~ that old man looks better than me.  OMG what is going on here?

It was fear of sweat, hurt, pain, or lack of comfort that I would not allow myself to go out of my comfort zone.  Even when I run I talk myself out of running too far for fear that I might work so hard that I might pass out.  Yes, it was when I faced my fear and changed my paradigm that I decided to embrace an exercise program that might actually run me in the ground with the hope I might like what I see in the mirror at the end of the day.  Speaking of mirrors I now know why men flex in the mirror as they look at themselves.  It is because they like what they see and imagine themselves bigger and better.  I tried this exercise as I sat and made funny faces as I flexed my muscles that I imagine (yes I am acting like a guy) thanks to the many push ups and resistance training drills I did a few days ago.  I found that I liked what I saw and I could envision a better me as time moves forward.  I am prepared to get the results that I can get which ultimately means I am prepared to do the work!

I am not sure if I have talked myself out of going to the gym in the morning but I am feeling very much like I am not going to make it.  I will set my alarm and see what happens...

3 comments:

  1. I need to be more motivated just like you!! You can do it and I know you will get up in the morning. I will be thinking of you as I hit the snooze button......
    :) enjoy your workout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... Thanks for the support Nadine... I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to blog about how much I HATE the gym, but I <3 my home workouts!! Comfort of my own home, and I can flex in the mirror and NOT feel silly...yes, I do it often! :D

    ReplyDelete